Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Shop Local Blog is Back...With a New Twist!



I have been thinking for quite some time on what this blog should evolve into.  I loved the 30 day challenge as it fun, simple and really changed how I looked at my own spending behavior.  Biggest issue?  What the heck to do once the 30 day challenge is over?  Uh….I didn’t really think through that part.  Whoops.

I have been thinking a lot about where to go with the blog.  Clearly thinking a looooong time as it has been MONTHS.  Then, the Runners Sole closed, seemingly out of nowhere.  Right after I was walking down the street to go to see the movie, "Home", at York theater (cute movie btw!) and on the left side of York it was empty storefront after empty storefront.

It made me sick to my stomach.

Our local businesses simply cannot survive and won’t stay in our community if we don’t support them.

Being a business owner is very hard and truly a labor of love.  Growing up, my mom ran a small business in our town.  She sold gifts, hand painted art and other items such as gourmet coffee.  I watched her work a 12-15 hour day.  Every.single.day.  She didn’t do it just to make money.  She did it because she loved it.  She loved her customers and she believed that her business added to our community.  It brought people, revenue and something special to our town.  I have never seen anyone work as hard as she did.

When you support a local business you are supporting an actual person and a family that is IN our community, cares about our community and is adding that little something “extra” to Elmhurst. 

“Ding”

The light finally went off.  I want to showcase the PEOPLE behind our local businesses.  These are people with a passion and a vision for our communities and each and every one of them is very different.  They have stories to tell and I want to try to showcase these stories.

I want to tell the stories of the people in our community that work so hard to bring a product or a service to Elmhurst that keeps our community unique.  Without them, we become a “cookie cutter” community, no different than any other town.  I haven’t met anyone who wants that for our town.


So, in the coming weeks, I will profile some great business owners and give you a little peek at the person behind the business.  We will learn not only who they are, but WHY they chose Elmhurst as the best town to grow their business.  

Look for our first story soon -- until then, please take minute to stop into a local business this week.  




1 comment: