Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Coffee & Community at Brewpoint

"It wasn't just about the coffee...Its that fact that through great coffee we could have a foot in the door to build up the community, to form and support lasting partnerships, and to provide excellent service"
Melissa, Owner of Brewpoint Coffee




My first look at the people behind our local businesses is to look at the owners of Brewpoint coffee.  I wrote about Brewpoint during my 30 day challenge as I needed to find a place in Elmhurst to get coffee in the morning instead of buying it downtown on my way to work.  Enter Brewpoint.  It hadn't been open for too long, but I had heard great things.   It was also on the side of the tracks I need to take the 801am train into the city.

 It quickly became my go to spot in the morning.  By that, it wasn't just a cup of coffee.  They literally SAVED me during this ridiculously cold winter we had.  I went from a morning where I got to the garage, walked to the train platform, huddled with others and cursed the day that I became a Metra commuter; to mornings where I would enter Brewpoint, get "Good Morning" greeting from Melissa and Angelo, get my medium skinny vanilla latte and look out the window....until I saw my train coming.  I then could dash out, jump on the train and enjoy my coffee.  MUCH less cursing involved all around.

My love of Brewpoint goes beyond coffee and as Melissa expresses in her quote above, Brewpoint is about more than coffee.  It is about community.

So, who are the people behind Brewpoint Coffee?  The shop is owned by Melissa and her (now) husband, Angelo.  They have owned Brewpoint for about 8 months.  Within that 8 months they not only started a business, but also got married.  Yes, they are small business owners AND newlywed...and yes, they are still speaking to one another :).    They didn't originally plan on running the business together.  Angelo was only planning on helping for the first six weeks for so as the shop was opening up, but as it happens, those weeks turned into months and now they are running Brewpoint together. 



Brewpoint is an expression of their owners.  It is a themed around "exploration".  It is all about expanding your mind and expanding your tastes.  I have seen Melissa and Angelo trying new taste combinations and giving samples from interesting coffee drinks, teas and pastries to just try out new things. (Yes, at some point I will branch beyond a skinny vanilla latte).  They also have a great variety of different milks (some non-dairy) and gluten free products. 

It is no surprise that the coffee shop has a worldly feel given that it was concepted while Melissa and Angelo were in the Philippines.  I love how she tells the story:

"We started Brewpoint Coffee in all the wrong ways: ... I had recently left my corporate job to do community work in the Philippines; while Angelo had been pushing me to dream big and out of the box for months....I took his advice and there in a very hot house in the Philippines with a small electric fan blowing in my face, Brewpoint was conceived".



I love this story as it shows the guts and passion it takes to decide to be a small business
and that for many it is not a job, but the expression of an idea and a dream.  If you walk into Brewpoint I think you feel that in the atmosphere and you taste it in the coffee.

When I asked Melissa what was her favorite thing about Elmhurst she said "The people, Hands down".  So take a minute to stop in, say hello to Melissa and Angelo and grab a coffee.....or a pastry...or a Glazed and Infused donut (available on Fridays and Saturdays)...or all of the above!

Brewpoint is at 124 W. Park Avenue in Elmhurst.

No comments:

Post a Comment