Tuesday, November 4, 2014

When the weather outside is frightful...

In the 2+ years we have lived in Elmhurst we have not done any real renovations or changes to the house. I think I was scarred from our house in the city where we did some major remodeling. Some  projects were exciting (gutting the kitchen) others were a surprise and not fun (gutting the basement after flooding). Although that is the house we got married in and had our daughter, my memories of that house are clouded by constant home improvement projects. After having a newborn and a basement that was gutted down to a dirt floor I declared that when we moved to our next house, it would be awhile before we did anything. In our Elmhurst house, my husband has been planning many things from painting, remodeling our deck and significant changes to the basement. (Our daughter calked him a Tinker the other day -- I think she is right). He has planned for years and a few weeks ago said it was time to start a few projects.

Because he knows me well and is a master of making me agree with him, he picked a surprisingly cold day a few Saturdays ago to suggest that we put in a fireplace. I grumbled about spending the money, liking our house the way it was, pain in the blah, blah, etc. We currently have a fireplace, but have been unable to use it as it needs work.. Of course he had done all the research, found a place (local - yea!!), figured out that we could use a gas insert, etc. 

So on this cold, cold day we trekked into Fireplace and Chimney Authority in Elmhurst. They have a showroom and if you walk in there on a cold day you will be hooked!  It was so warm and cozy and instantly I was dreaming of snowy days sitting by the fire. Yes!  It actually made me excited for a cold day (doubtful that I will feel that way come February). 

We found the right insert, placed our order and yesterday had our fireplace installed. 


It is amazing.  When I came home from work we had dinner by the fire and it was lovely. I do find myself less irritated by the forecast of cold weather as we have an instant coziness that our house didn't have before.   He was right.  I do love it.  It wasn't hard to do and it is a great improvement to our house.  Now that this is done, I think I have unknowingly opened the door to home improvement projects. I heard him mumble something about heading to Ace Hardware to get more paint samples...oh boy...here we go...

No comments:

Post a Comment