Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Day 7: One week in!

It has been a great week so far.  Not only have a tried a few new places and enjoyed the challenge of focusing dollars locally, I have gotten a chance to talk to quite a few business owners.  The biggest thing that has struck me is how committed these business owners are to our community.  This is not just about running a business or making money for most of them, it is about enriching a community that they care about.  It was very inspiring.

 I have been surprised how easy it has been to change my behavior once I was just conscious of my habits.  There have been only a few areas where I have have not found a great solution without our community (but I am still checking!)

Here is a list of things I have not been able to find inside Elmhurst.  None of these (outside of kids shoes) are a big concern, but I wanted to be fair that I can't find everything.

Please comment if you know of a place I can go for these items.  I would love to know if there is a great place I have not found:

Electronics (accessories): My niece wanted an iPad cover for her birthday, but I could not determine where I could pick on up within Elmhurst (we went with a gift card as well - a great option as I can't pretend to know what is "cool" these days)

Art/craft supplies: I have a love affair with Modge Podge & Glitter, but couldn't figure out a store where I could buy those things.  Similarly, I want to make a small fleece blanket, but don't know where to get fabric.

Kids Shoes:  Our daughter is about to need new tennis shoes.  We are partial to Stride Rite and other quality kids shoes.  It would be great to have a good kids shoe store in town.  I guess I could go to Kohls or Kmart, but she has wide feet and those are harder to find.  I haven't tried Shoe Carnival and will likely stop in soon to see if they will have wide shoes (and quality brands).

Not so bad for week one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment